Tuesday, April 9, 2013

ToT: Catch Up

So....as you all (that actually read and follow my blog) may have noticed, I'm a bit behind on ToT posts.  Yikes! This week it's time to get back on track.  Here are the two topics that I missed:

March 19th Why is THIS news? I often find that as I peruse through news sites, I often (or nearly always) see something that just irks me that it is considered 'newsworthy' - so for this week, find something in the news that makes you ask this same question, share the story with us and why you think it is just ridiculous that it has been deemed as news.


March 26: Celebrities and their baby bumps...it seems like more and more often any famous person who becomes pregnant has their baby bump literally jump to the top of the headlines. People seem obsessed with it and the media seems all too happy to fuel that obsession. Not to mention the huge business deals and money changing hands over first pics. Where do you stand on all of this? Should people be so fascinated/obsessed with all of this? What about the selling pics for huge sums of money - do you think it is wrong, or are celebrities within their rights of capitalizing off the marketability of their public image?

I think these topics can actually be combined in my opinion.  First of all, I have no idea why we are so obsessed with celebrities and their baby bumps.  Maybe we just want to see someone glamorous and beautiful be a little rotund (excuse me-glowing)  and normal like the rest of us. Maybe we just want to see celebrities that are portrayed as perfect and "having it all" struggle with the same parenting challenges that the rest of the world faces.  Who knows, but I do feel like the media does give this subject way to much attention during the news.  Maybe it's just a happy positive that they are trying to inject between all of the horrible and negative news that we seemed to be bombarded with on a daily basis. I would like to think that.

This being said, I have friends that really enjoy keeping up on the latest celebrity gossip, and I do not judge them for that because I used to be one of those people when I was younger.  I realized that I was constantly trying to compare myself and my life to these people and their images.  It was making me unhappy. Once I stopped paying so much attention to all of that, (who the hottest celeb is, what they are wearing, what the latest trends are in fashion, hairstyles, what have you).  I started feeling a lot better about myself.  I was giving that stuff way too much of a high priority. 

 As far as if it's right or wrong for celebs to capitalize off of the marketability of their public image, I would have to say...more power to them.  They have put themselves in a position in which they have gained "fame" and the public's "attention" so much so that their privacy is constantly being invaded by paparazzi. I'm not saying, poor them-they asked for it in a way...but why shouldn't they try to take control of that situation for a little bit of personal gain? I say more power to them-they have already chosen a life in the spotlight anyway. Someone is going to take those pictures whether they want them to or not. They might as well have the photos taken in a way that they deem fit and tactful instead of some unflattering stolen shot or an intimate family moment not meant for the public that was intruded upon by an unwanted photographer.  I guess that's how I feel about that. lol.

As for the first topic-why is THIS news.  I would have to put the endless gossip about celebrity drinking/break ups/ hookups/babies/weddings etc. in this category.  Like I said above, I don't mind a little bit of it injected here and there between negative news coverage, but sometimes it's just over kill. 

My husband and I are always saying this exact thing to each other-"how is this news?" or "it must be a slow news day for them to cover this."  You animal lovers out there might hate me for this one, but a few weeks ago, they had a story on about a "wild" or "homeless" or "stray" cat that has made his home under some rocks in a hillside next to a popular walking/running/biking trail in the city.  The cat even has it's own mailbox, and people actually leave it mail.  I'm not talking food or toys or what not, I mean letters to this cat.  Seriously.  The worst part about the whole freaking story was that the cat was too terrified to come out of it's little home, so they didn't even have any footage to show of the dang thing. A story about a cat with out the cat. Seriously-how is that more important than another check of the weather.  Sorry, I feel like I'm always missing the weather forecast, which is one of the main reasons I watch the news in the first place.  It never fails that right when the weather is on, one of my kids needs help going potty or has decided to loudly talk over the top of the entire forecast.  Anyways...I digress.  I won't go into any other stories that I think are pointless.  I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on what should or should not make the news.

Check out what the other ToT ladies are saying about these topics, and don't worry if you don't see their post, yet.  Everyone seems to be playing catch up at the moment.

1 comment:

Quags77 said...

And who needs a hot celeb when you have this!?!?!?!?