Wednesday, April 17, 2013

ToT: Thoughts on the Boston Marathon

I am a runner. I am a spectator. I am a wife and mother. I have been to the Boston Marathon as a spectator,  and wife of a participant.  I ran a marathon, and know the challenge of the race.  It is one of the hardest things I have ever done.  I am sickened, saddened, and angered by the events that occurred at the Boston Marathon this year.  However, I will not live my life in fear. I will not stop running in highly populated races.  I will continue to live my life, and attend events that I love no matter the size of the crowd. These terrorists will not change my love for this country that we live in, nor will they hinder me from living the life that I choose.

This week's ToT topic: Reflections on the incidents at the Boston Marathon.  Let's write about what's going on in Boston. How does it make you feel? What do you think about all of the media coverage surrounding this event? Is it too much, not enough, or overkill? Do you think the large amount of media coverage of these tragedies provides motivation for terrorists or other people to try to get attention through violent acts? If you have children do you let them see this coverage? If they happen to catch it on the news what do you tell them when they ask about it? Will this change the way you attend public events with large crowds?

Jake running the Boston Marathon in 2007.
First, I want to say that the families, runners, and spectators that were victims of this terrorist act are in my thoughts and prayers at this time.  I can't quite seem to shake some of the images I've seen in the news the last few days.  It could have easily been me or one of my loved ones in that situation.  I have been to the Boston Marathon years ago when my son was just three months old.  My husband qualified for the race.  It was the year that the race was greatly impacted by in incoming Nor'easter that was so strong it actually changed the face of much of the east coast beaches.  Despite the weather, my husband decided to participate, and my family decided to support him and cheer him on during the race.  The crowd was huge.  Picture wall to wall people in your mind, and having to turn your body to the side to slip through the crowd to be able to pass through the streets.  The world was a different place at that time.  The biggest fear I had that day was not being able to stay warm enough, and to make sure my wallet wasn't stolen by a pick pocket. My sister-in-law and I traversed through the crowd and repeatedly walked back and forth by the finish line in search of a restroom.  There was a large police presence, but no one gave us a second glance as we walked by. Navigating through the crowd was not an easy feat-despite the bad weather. I can't imagine what it must have been like when those bombs exploded.  Escape would be hindered by the crowd itself. If this event had occurred on that particular race day, my husband would have been moments from the finish. I would have been standing around the corner from the finish line. I would have felt the earth shaking beneath my feet, smelled the toxic odor and heard the screams from the injured.  I would have been swept up in the crowd, confused, and being a visitor not sure where to run or how to seek safety. Seeing the images on the news makes my stomach turn for that reason. It hits close to home. It made me want to call my sister-in-law and give her a big hug.

2007: Sarah and I watching the first runner to cross the finish line.
The runners. When I watch the news, I see the runners coming to the finish with a look of relief, pride, a sense of accomplishment, and I am taken back to my own feelings of completing my first marathon this past fall.  Coming down the home stretch for the finish was such an emotional moment.  I could hardly hold back the tears of joy, and sense of pride.  It truly was a life changing moment. Then I see these emotions wiped off  the runners faces and replaced by fear and confusion in an instant.  I can't imagine. I think of the people still out on the course, being directed a different route, not knowing what has occurred.  What was going through their minds? Months of prep and sacrifice of time taken away in a second. My husband qualified for the Boston Marathon this year.  For what ever reason, he elected to defer until next year, and I thank God for that decision.

An inspirational site on the course.
As for the media coverage. I do believe it is a bit too much.  Some images on the TV make me angry.  I feel they show too much of the injured and the scared.  I think we as the public audience can experience the fear of the situation with out showing those covered in blood in what could possibly one of the worst moments of their lives.  To take that moment and publicly share it with the world seems to me to be such an intrusion of privacy. I don't think the magnitude of the event would be lessened with out these images. Do I think this type of media coverage gives fuel to future terrorist acts? Possibly. I think if someone wants to do something to harm other people, then they are going to do it regardless.  I do however think there is some small correlation with the fact that these violent acts seem to be occurring more frequently, and when they do occur it's all over the news and social media for the next few days.  Then what? It seems the public audience may be just as drawn to being absorbed by these tragedies as they occur, but what of the follow up? I'm not trying to judge, but I do believe there needs to be some sort of change in the media coverage.  There needs to be some balance between getting the story to the public and showing a respect for those involved. How will I approach this with my children? I'm trying not to let them see the images on the news.  My children are young. Too young to explain this to, and the fact that both my husband and I participate in races would make this even more upsetting for them.  If my son happens to ask about it, I will tell him what I think is the appropriate amount of information and let him ask me what he needs to know to calm any fears he may have.

Will I change the way I attend popular public events? Possibly.  I'm not saying I won't go to them, but maybe I will try to be a little bit smarter about the way I attend them.  I was watching something on the Today show that gave good advice, on knowing where the exits are if you are inside.  Make sure you know at least two ways out. I think that is a great idea. I'm always checking that out when we are at the Colts or Bears games. I never thought I needed an escape plan for a terrorist attack, but I was always thinking it would be good to have a way out in the event of a bad weather situation. Either way, I think it's good to be prepared, and know your surroundings.  I don't think that is living your life in fear, I think that is going about things in a smart manner. I will continue to take my children to these events.  It's part of our life.  It's my job to teach them how to act and be safe in a large crowd. 

Finally, my heart goes out to the parents that had frightened children in the crowd at the marathon.  I pray especially for the 8 year old boy that lost his life, and for his mother and sister who were injured as well. I picture my kids standing at the finish line in Columbus, elated to be cheering on their parents.  They were in a proximity to the finish line there, that would have been comparable to where things occurred in Boston. I can't imagine. I won't imagine. What I will do is keep my faith, and continue to pray. I will be a runner.  I will be a mother and a wife. I will go to watch future races. I will let my children continue to cheer me on. I will live my life in faith instead of fear.

See what the other ToT ladies have to say as they reflect on this event.

 

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Wow, I can only imagine what additional fear hits knowing that your own family could have easily been there in the midst of such an evil act. I also found interesting what you learned on the Today show about having an exit plan, etc. Somewhere in my mind, I have always sort of thought that way, but it had always been because of my own anxiety of being stuck in a huge crowd, my own personal space proximity fears, etc... mostly just to have an escape path in the case of a panic attack. Never did I imagine I would need to have it as a means of physical survival. So sad what our world has become.