Thursday, October 9, 2014

Chicken Spaghetti

So it's been a loooooong time since I've posted anything. I thought an easy way to get back into it would be to post a recipe that I shared with my MOMS group at church the other day. We shared our favorite meals that we enjoy.  I said, "chicken spaghetti."  That might invoke strange visions of chicken floating around with spaghetti noodles in red marinara sauce, but I can assure you, it's way more exciting than that.  I'll give you the recipe as I received it, and then some tips I've used along the way to make it easier.  Chicken spaghetti is not an every week kind of meal because in my opinion it takes too darn long to make, but it's nice to have a a "special" sort of meal that you can pepper in with your tried and true recipes.

Chicken Spaghetti













Ingredients:
1 1/2 lbs cooked and diced boneless skinless chicken breast
1T butter
1 c. chopped celery
1 c. chopped onion
1 c. green pepper (red will work if you can't find green trust me, it happens!!)
1 T chilli powder
2 t. salt
1 t. pepper
1 can of tomato soup
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 package of spaghetti noodles

Directions:
Start by boiling chicken breasts in water.  Reserve water for later use.
Chop celery, green peppers, and onion. Or save yourself some time and effort by buying a bag of frozen chopped onion, and peppers.  Some grocery stores also sell fresh chopped veggies, too.
Once chicken is cooked, cut up into bite sized pieces.
While cutting chicken, boil spaghetti in the chicken water in a big pot.Using a big pot will make it easier at the end when you combine all of the ingredients.  You just want to cover the noodles with the water.  If you have too much, throw the extra out, if you don't have enough, just add a little bit of regular water. Once spaghetti is tender, add 1 can of cream of chicken soup and let stand with no heat.  Spaghetti will absorb soup.
In the mean time, saute celery, onion , and pepper in 1 T of butter.  Add pepper, salt, chilli powder, 1 can of tomato soup, and 1 can of cream of chicken soup.  Once it gets bubbly, add the chicken let it simmer for 10 minutes.
Combine spaghetti with sauce and chicken. Get out your muscles for this last step, it is not so easy to "stir."
Place in large casserole dish and bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the top is sightly golden.

All of my tips are in red.

No comments: