Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Together on Tuesdays: Moving on Up

This week on "Together on Tuesday" the ladies and I are writing about the following: 

The Grass is Always Greener: if by some twist of fate you had the option to move to some wonderful destination, would you take it-or would you stay where you live now? What are some things you love about where you live? What are some things you dislike, or some things that you wish we had in this area that would improve our quality of life? If you would take the get out and leave option-what are your reasons for leaving? Where would your destination be? If you stay-why?

Okay, so I have to admit that this subject was my idea, but I need to rewind to my frame of mind when I was thinking of topics.  We had just returned from our wonderful Disney vacation, and I was thinking I would move to Disney World if I had the choice.  Well, obviously now a little time has passed, and I've come down from my Disney high. Plus, I don't think they actually let you move into Cinderella's castle (darn it).  Things seem a bit different now.  Jake and I were just discussing this very topic at lunch with the kiddos yesterday.  I don't think I would actually take the "get out and leave" option. 

There are the obvious reasons why we love living here-it's where my family is, it's familiar (seeing as how I've lived here all of my life), our friends are here, and we love the life we have built for ourselves here. Indiana may have harsh winters and very humid summers, but I wouldn't trade having four seasons a year for anything.  We have a great cost of living, and no horrible pests (such as no giant roaches, spiders, or scorpions). There are great schools for the kids.  Also, we have wonderful parks and numerous activities for kids and families in the area we live in.  I love that the world's largest children's museum is only a short drive away.  The Indianapolis Zoo is a fantastic zoo that is not overwhelmingly large, but big enough to spend the day exploring.  Our downtown is clean and offers unique venues for entertainment and dining.  As far as sports are concerned, we have it pretty darn good here.  NFL football in one of the best stadiums in the country.  There is also a chance to watch the Indianapolis Indians play at Victory Field (voted the top minor league stadium in the nation).  Banker's Life Field house is wonderful venue and also happens to be the home of the Indianapolis Pacer's.  Let's not forget the world's largest event in Indy car racing, the Indianapolis 500. If sports is not your cup of tea, there are concerts to attend at White River State Park, Klipsch Music Center, and you can catch the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra summer concerts at Connier Prarie.  Carmel as also built a state of the art concert hall. The Indiana State Museum and Eiteljorg Museums are wonderful as well. So, as you can see our town offers plenty to see and do.

Now onto the dislikes. Hmmmm...I know there are some. Funny. I'm really going to have to stretch to find something that I dislike.  I'm not a fan of how humid it gets here in the summer, and sometimes the winters can be down right bitter. Sometimes I wish for a mass transit system from where we live into downtown Indy. I guess the only real problem that I have is where we live in relation to my husband's family.  I wish we were closer so my husband and kids could see their grandparents and cousins more often. So that is the "magical" change I would make, keep everything exactly how it is now, but make it a short drive to Connecticut where my in-laws live, oh and therefore making it more convenient for us to visit one of my favorite destinations, Martha's Vineyard. 

After really examining this topic, I know that I love where I live.  If I moved to a dream destination, I may not appreciate it as much.  I might take for granted the beautiful weather, ocean views, and difference in culture.  I am fortunate enough to be able to travel and appreciate new destinations and different cultures, but at the end of the day, it's always good to be back home (...again in Indiana-okay you know it and I know it. I  had to go there).

Now go check out what Danielle, Sarah, Nancy, and Charlotte have to say about the grass being greener...or not.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

Michlle, I didn't know you blogged. I don't. Can't get enough time to do my actual work but pretty neat that you do. I lived in Disney for a summer as you know and now have friends that live there full time with a family. It's good for some things but like everything else, living there is not the same as vacationing there. Ask me about it sometime. I say stay here for all the reasons you mentioned, and your great neighbors who have a pool you can use!

Danielle said...

Wow! When you list all the cool things about this city, it sounds much better than when I just THINK about it! I'm glad you like it here and are staying. Don't know what I'd do without ya! :)