Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Together on Tuesday: Dream Job

Everyone has a "dream job" or career they fantasize about-don't they?  This question may seem so easy, but once you really start to think about it, you may find it's actually not that simple.  Today we (by we I mean Danielle at My Peaches and Cream, Nancy at Purple Peaches and Charlotte from The Dog Days of Life) are answering the question about what our dream job is, and how it would impact our lives as mothers, and what sacrifices we would be willing to make to get this dream job.  Would you go back to school? Would you relocate? Would you go from staying at home to working full time or vice versa? These are some tough questions. 

The Job:  I guess the first part of this is to identify what the dream job would be, right? As funny as it may seem, this is actually the hardest part for me. Here is my list of what first pops into my head and the reasons why they actually would not be my dream job:
  • actress-too shy and reserved
  • singer-can't sing
  • artist-can't draw, paint, sculpt
  • author-not enough imagination to make a living out of it
  • baker-not enough patience and lack of decorating skills
  • barista-would be on caffeine overload all the time
Back in first grade when the teacher asked, "So what do you want to be when you grow up?"  I never ever had an answer.  I had no idea.  Maybe I never wanted to grow up...but I don't think I was mature enough to come up with that idea.  If I had to pick one thing that I may have ever leaned towards selecting as a job it would be teaching.  I was discouraged from that at a very early age though.  I knew someone that was a teacher, and they told me an infinite number of times that it was a job with little pay, and way too much blood, sweat, and tears.  Ironically, I'm a stay at home mom. The same could be said for my current job as well.  I guess I can't say  what exactly my "dream job" would be, but I can tell you what criteria a job would need to have to qualify as a "dream." 

  • Enjoyment-I mean it people, if I work everyday, it would be nice to want to have to work.
  • No stress-I know this may not even be possible in a dream job, but I would want as little stress as possible thank you very much.
  • I would have to be good at it.  It would have to satisfy me, and I think in order for that to occur, I think I would need to know that I was good at my job.  I was excelling at something. 
  • Make an impact or difference.  I would want a job that allows me to impact other people's lives or the environment in a positive way.  I want to feel like I'm helping someone or something bigger than myself.
  • Part time.  Okay-I know that is a tall order after what I just wrote above, but I think it would be hard for me to leave being with my kids all the time.
  • Vacation whenever I choose for however long I choose.  (What? I said dream job).
  • I know I haven't mentioned compensation.  Funny how that is one of the last things that I thought of-I guess I'm pretty comfortable with the life I live.  I could wish for a job that would allow me to make enough money to ensure my husband didn't have to work anymore, but then he would just go stir crazy.  That would make me crazy which wouldn't be good for anyone. So I guess compensation would be more of the feeling of good I receive from helping people and the environment by using my miraculous talents. Oh-and paying for my kids college tuition and my retirement.
The Sacrifices: I've already touched on this a little bit. I would be willing to go back to school or take some training courses if needed for my dream job.  I don't think I would be willing to relocate unless it was to a place of awesomeness.  Not sure exactly where that place is, but it would have to be pretty fantastic for me to leave my home.  I love where I live and who I live by.  It would be really hard to give that up.   One reason why I decided to stay home was because I knew the stress it took for me to get out the door each morning.  It was so hard to get Sam ready, get myself ready, drop him off, and then go to work, and do the whole thing over again on the way home.  I knew it would be twice the amount of work with two children.  I would not have been in a good place with myself or with my family.  So it would have to be an excellent job for me to be willing to go through all of that again. Actually, it would have to ensure that I wouldn't have to go through that everyday.  I would be able to work from home or be able to go into the office a lot later in the morning to avoid the rushing around bit.

So, those are my criteria for a dream job.  Not too much to ask for-Ha! If you know of any positions out there that fit that description, let me know. In the meantime visit Danielle, Nancy, and Charlotte to see what they have to say about their dream jobs.

No comments: